Monday, December 6, 2010

Countdown to Christmas begins...with a visit to ChristmasTown!!!

Thanks to my Thirty-One income, I was able to take my Mom and the boys to Williamsburg, VA for a long holiday weekend.  This trip REALLY got me in the mood for Christmas and I just had to share some moments from our mini-vacation....

We left out on Friday and I was dreading the almost 5 hour drive.  My husband usually does the driving...in fact, I can't remember driving that far myself since we got married.  The minivan was packed up and the boys were lectured accordingly and strategically spaced out of arms reach from one another. 

My Picnic Thermal Tote was stocked with drinks and snacks and my City Weekender Tote was full of warm clothes - we were ready!

The drive was not bad at all - Virginia is a pretty state in the Fall.  We arrived at the Williamsburg Plantation.  I was a little concerned after reading mixed reviews, but I landed a SWEET deal on the condo, so I figured we'd make the best of it.  It turned out to be a perfect place for us to stay...so much more like a home than a hotel. 
The units are set up like a townhome with an upper and lower level unit.  I wanted a place where we could cook so we didn't have to eat every single meal out.  The first night we were there, we hit up Trader Joe's.  So. Yummy.  We don't have a TJ's nearby at home, so this was a treat.  We cranked up the fireplace, poured a glass of wine and let the kids play.

On Saturday, we visited Colonial Williamsburg.  One of my favorite buildings in the town is Bruton Parish Church and I'm glad it was open so we could go inside.
It's such a beautiful building and there's so much history there.  The boys got to sit where George Washington sat.  We walked around the town and took in the sights for a couple of hours.  I have to admit - there were a lot fewer interactive exhibits than I remember from my last visit as a child.  The boys thought it was "pretty boring" but they did have fun getting in the gallows and eating lunch at Shields Tavern.
Shields Tavern is located on Duke of Gloucester street, down near the Governor's Palace.  We ate in the parlor room.  I had the Bangers and Mash (delish!!).  Monkey lucked out and was served an Adult size burger because "it would take forever to get a child's burger" according to the waitress.  (I'm still pondering the answer to that).  He ate every. single. bite. 

After lunch, we headed back to Williamsburg Plantation and I took Parker shopping at the Williamsburg Premium Outlets, which were right around the corner from where we stayed.  We went out to dinner at Hayashi Sushi & Grill - Parker was craving Japanese.  The service was mediocre at best, but the food nearly made up for it.  My Blackberry almost died a quick death there, though, when the little guys reached over me to duke it out and spilled my Miso soup all. over. my. phone.  Thanks to my Facebook friends' advice and a bag of rice, I was able to dry out the phone and it's as good as it was before. 

On Sunday, it was time for the highlight of our trip - a visit to Busch Gardens Europe - Christmastown!!!  The park opens in the evenings between Thanksgiving and Christmas and it's truly magical.  Now, if this place doesn't get you in the mood for the holidays, I don't know what would.  Busch Gardens is a beautiful park anytime of the year, but especially so during Christmastown.  The entire park is lit up, the smell of real Christmas trees and the music is so welcoming.  We got to see the Sesame Street Christmas show and ride every ride we wanted to with no wait!  We enjoyed dinner at the Festhaus. 

No visit to Christmastown would be complete without stopping by Santa's Workshop and seeing the Big Man in Red!


I can tell that I've gotten less brave with age.  A few years ago, I was skydiving.  Now, I'm chickening out of a roller coaster!  Parker was bound and determined to conquer The Griffon...and conquer it he did...all by himself.
 

I got on...and then I promptly got off (before they could lock me in!)  He rode alone.  I stood at the base and prayed. 

We got to meet Penelope and Phillipe...


and even saw real, live penguins...so cute!!

It was a really beautiful evening and the memories we made will stay with us for a long time.  We'll definitely go back again next year! 

We couldn't go to Williamsburg and not visit the Yankee Candle flagship store.  WOW!  It was a very unique experience.  It's a beautiful store and it smells divine!  Santa was there and the boys made their own candles at the Wax Works station.  I loaded up on tarts to burn during the holidays. 

It was a perfect weekend, except that Daddy had to stay home for work.  We missed him like crazy.  We were all glad to get home to him on Monday and we'll be taking him with us next year for sure!


No comments:

Post a Comment